Saturated Fat:1.8 grams
Trans Fat:.2 grams
A thick and hearty beef stew to warm your bones on cold winter days.
Prep Time:15 Minutes
Cook Time:2 Hours
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs. boneless, lean beef chuck steak
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, and cut into pieces
- 4 large carrots, peeled, and thickly sliced
- 2 small red potatoes, washed, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 2 cups beef broth (reduced fat and low sodium)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- kosher salt, garlic salt and pepper to taste
- Add the flour to a large bowl. Pat the beef very well with paper towels. Add in the beef and toss gently. Shake off any excess flour.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil in a large skillet. Add the beef, in batches, and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the beef from skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. of oil to the pan and add in the portobello mushrooms. Sauté the mushrooms for about 5 to 6 minutes until browned. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate. Add in the carrots, red potatoes, and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes. Add in the garlic salt, salt and pepper, and sauté for 3 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the skillet, put into a bowl and set aside.
- Put cooked beef in deep pot. Simmer over medium heat for about 8 minutes. Add in the beef broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the beef is very tender. Add in the carrots, and potatoes, cover, and simmer for another 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add in the mushrooms, and simmer uncovered for 5 to 7 minutes. Some of the liquid will evaporate, thickening the stew. Season with salt and pepper to taste.