Saturated Fat:2 grams
Cream of Asparagus Soup
As the leaves start to change and the temperature starts to fall, is there anything better than a warm cup of soup?
Prep Time:10 Minutes
Cook Time:35 Minutes
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups asparagus, 1/2in slices
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 tsp fresh thyme
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Combine asparagus, broth, ½ tsp thyme, bay leaf and garlic in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and place asparagus mixture in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place flour in pan. Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add pureed asparagus and ground nutmeg; stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in ¼ tsp of thyme, butter, salt and lemon zest.