Gallup, Trot or Dash off your Thanksgiving Meal
Thanksgiving doesn’t have to just be about the food this year.
Get your family together for some exercise too! You can all celebrate and be thankful while walking or running in a local 5k. These local events are a great way to get some excellent exercise and connect with family and friends. Not to worry, there will still be plenty of time to enjoy a delicious meal and kick back and watch some football, of course doing so knowing you’ve already gotten your exercise in for the day.
So whether you are in Houston for the Turkey Trot, San Francisco for the Gobbler Gallup or Minneapolis for the Drumstick Dash, tie up those running shoes and get your steps in for the day. You can find a complete listing of events across the country at www.runningintheusa.com
Here are some safety tips courtesy of the American Diabetes Association to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable experience:
- Speak with your health care team about which activities are best for you
- Warm up before beginning to exercise and cool down when you are finished
- Stay hydrated – drink lots of water before, during and after your exercise
- If you experience symptoms of low blood sugar, have your testing supplies handy and have a fast acting carbohydrate on hand
- Wear a medical identification bracelet or ID that informs people you have diabetes
- Take care of your feet – wear comfortable shoes and clean socks that fit well
- Check your feet for blisters, redness or any other signs of irritation before and after you exercise
- Stop immediately if you feel pain, shortness of breath or light-headedness and consult a medical professional
Have a Safe and Enjoyable Thanksgiving Day!