Saturated Fat:1.8g grams
Serving Size:1 cup
Creamy, Carb-Friendly Ham Mac & Cheese
Wanting to reach for those carbs? Instead, try this carb-friendly recipe! With just one carbohydrate choice per serving, it will leave you feeling full and satisfied!
Prep Time:15 Minutes
Cook Time:15 Minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1 12-ounce can nonfat evaporated milk
- 1 cup cottage cheese, 1%
- ½ cup cheese, ricotta, low-fat
- ½ cup cheese, cheddar, low-fat
- ½ head cauliflower cut into small florets (4 cups)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 cups whole wheat macaroni pasta, cooked
- 2 cups low sodium ham, cut up
- 1 tsp cheese, Parmesan
- 1 tbsp whole wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Whisk the egg into the evaporated milk in a saucepan. Add the cheeses to the milk and egg, then heat until melted and beginning to thicken.
- While heating the cheese mixture, steam the cauliflower until it is very soft and falling apart, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the cayenne, nutmeg, pepper, and salt into the cheese mixture. Remove the cheese sauce from the heat. Add the cooked pasta, cauliflower and ham to the cheese sauce and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a casserole dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Bake the casserole for 15-20 minutes until bubbling and browned.